For ever faithful

The Carabinieri Corps was born on 13 July 1814

To get to know the origins of the Carabinieri, one needs to jump in the early nineteenth century: in the climate of the Restoration, Vittorio Emanuele I of Savoy, returning to Turin after a period spent in substantial exile in Cagliari since the continental territory of The Kingdom of Sardinia had been occupied by Napoleon Bonaparte’s troops, issued the royal law of 13 July 1814 – the “Royal Patents” – with which the Corps of Royal Carabinieri, a military unit with police duties, was established. The first staff recruited was selected for the excellence of the Piedmontese units, therefore it was considered an elite corps. Their first general was Giuseppe Thaon of Revel, of Nice, called to hold the highest office of the Corps on 13 August 1814. On 25 June 1833, by decree of King Charles Albert of Savoy, the colors of the plume were adopted: the scarlet and the blue.
There is a particular episode, narrated and handed down as “the test of fire”, which represents the baptism in combat of the Corps: it refers to the war in Crimea of ​​1855. Vittorio Emanuele II sent – under pressure from Cavour and alongside English , French and Turkish – 18,058 men, of which 70 Carabinieri with 5 officers under the command of Captain Emanuele Trotti. They were entrusted with delicate escort duties, guidance and civil and military police. On 16 August the Sardinian and Carabinieri units opposed an insurmountable resistance for the enemy and conquered the Zig-Zag, the outpost beyond the Cernaia. In the Risorgimento period it was the Carabinieri Corps that was the protagonist of many actions. With the completion of the national unit the Royal Carabinieri became the “Corps” of the Royal Army on 8 May 1861. In 1914, on the occasion of the first centenary of his birth, Captain Cenisio Fusi devised the motto that identifies the Carabinieri: “For ever faithful”. Until then there was another one: “We are used to obeying silence and to die silent”, taken from the poem La Rassegna di Novara by Costantino Nigra. On June 5, 1920 the Carabinieri Flag was awarded the first Gold Medal for Military Valor because of the contribution offered in the First World War: and it is precisely in memory of this day and this event that every year, on June 5, carries out the celebration of the Corps. The Carabinieri were widely employed also in the colonial period (in Ethiopia, Libya, Greece, Albania), during the second world war and, after the armistice of Cassibile, several departments took part in the war of liberation; particularly noteworthy is the figure of the deputy sergeant Salvo D’Acquisto, who died in Torre di Palidoro, near Rome, on September 23, 1943, killed by the Germans in retaliation after having accused himself, although innocent, to save twenty-two sentenced to death. The Corps, as it is known today, was born on June 18, 1946 and is an integral part of the Italian police force, performing both tasks typical of the armed forces and those of permanent public security service. In recent decades it has integrated its structure by creating the Special Anti-Terrorism Unit, the Special Intervention Group, the Special Operational Grouping. Until 2000 he returned to the Army; after this date the elevation to the rank of autonomous armed force takes place. This allowed participation in Italian military missions abroad no longer exclusively with military police functions.

Https://www.facebook.com/mediterraneodintorni/
Condividi